UPDATE:  Make A Difference Day Oct 24. 2015 was a great success for the Heritage Foundation. The youth of St. Stephen Catholic Church came out in droves to help restore this historic cemetery.  Thank you sooo much!!!!!!!

Black heritage community CEMETERY REGISTRY

Click on links above
 
Note:
(ID Cards are available for a donation of $20.00. Please contact us on this site or call at (919) 721-8128 to request your card.)
 
 
Please visit our registry and find out who is buried in this cemetery. 
Due to the fact that this cemetery has been abandoned for so long, many of the grave markers are deteriorated and can no longer be read. If you can identify any of these inhabitants, please contact us and let us know your story.

In the late 1800's, the African American community of Moore County desired a proper burial ground for their dead that they would have ownership of.  This prompted the African American churches to collaborate together to purchase this land on which some of their loved ones had already been laid to rest.  This particular portion of the cemetery was deeded on December 15, 1900 by J.F. Bowers and wife, E.L. Bowers of Moore County, to five Trustees who represented the prominent black churches during that era.  Those Trustees by name were:  M.J. Alston, W.H. McIver, Job Palmer, Henry Peoples and Soloman Womack.  The churches that these Trustees represented were the Black Presbyterian, Episcopal, Methodist (A.M.E. Zion) and Baptist Congregational churches of Sanford in

black heritage community cemetery


1399 Carthage Street
Sanford, NC 27330


One of the oldest cemeteries located in Sanford, NC dates back to the late 1700's and was used as a burying ground for slaves. This is where our story begins.......
 

















Moore County, N.C.  This property that was sold to these five Trustees contained one and one half acres, more or less, for the sum of $26.25 and was witnessed by Jno. W. Scott.  This deed was originally recorded in Moore County on March 19, 1901, Deed Book 23; Pages 123-125.  Due to the fact that Lee County did not come into existence until 1907, this deed was not available in the City of Sanford, County of Lee.  On May 17, 2011 this deed was brought from Carthage in Moore County and recorded at the Lee County Register of Deeds office by Lisa Martin Sanders.
 
The Black portion of the Buffalo Presbyterian Cemetery was used up until the 1970's, after which its' significance began a slow decline until it was seemingly forgotten; years of vandalism and minimal care has left this cemetery in disarray.  When first discovered, it was overrun with ivy, briers and trees and was very difficult to reach.  Because this cemetery had been totally abandoned, The Heritage Foundation (formerly Team One), realized that to restore it would take lots of time, effort and funding.  Before the restoration began, the fact that this cemetery was no longer an honorable and respectable resting place for those who are buried there brings disgrace to its' designation as part of a National Historical Landmark.  One interesting fact about this particular cemetery is that one of our local and prominent educators, for more than 40 years, whose name now adorns the former Lee County Training School, W.B. Wicker, is buried there.
 
There is much history in this cemetery that should be shared with all those who wish to learn from the past, so that they too can share in a sense of pride for those who blazed the trail of success in which they can now tread.  We should celebrate and be proud of our rich history, not only during the month of February, but at all times.  The graves of the people that are encompassed in this cemetery should reflect those who have benefited from their service and their sacrifice.  We should take it upon ourselves to honor them with the upkeep of their resting place.
 
History Notes & Information Sources:
Cemetery
On May 17, 2011, this property appeared on the Property and Landscape Map of Buffalo Church Cemetery in Lee County, N.C., Francis Deaton, State Registered Engineer.  This map was created in May, 1931.  "J.F. Bowers to Buffalo Church Colored Cemetery Trustees 1.41 Acres."  As a result of The Heritage Foundation's efforts, this property currently has been properly identified as its' own entity on the Property and Landscape Map; with a new address of 1399 Carthage Street, Sanford, N.C.
 
Measuring Worth is the idea of comparing yesteryears' prices with those of today.  Relevant to this discussion the price paid to procure the Black Cemetery, which was $26.25 in 1900 for a one and one half acre parcel of land would be equivalent to $18,500.00 in the year 2011.  This information was obtained through the measuringworth.com website.
 
Lee County was formed in 1907 from parts of Chatham County, Moore County and Harnet County.  It was named for Robert E. Lee, Commanding General of the Confederate forces during the American Civil War.
 
Historical data contributors: Beverly Floryanzia (Lee County Resident), Rev. Dr. Joseph Morgan, Lillie Barrett (Moore County Deputy Register of Deeds), Hal Siler (Surveyor) and Pete Wilberg (BPC).
 
Information gathered and written by:
 
Lisa Martin Sanders
Executive Director
The Heritage Foundation, Inc.
 



ID Inhabitant cards

The Heritage Foundation, Inc.

UPDATE:  Make A Difference Day Oct 24. 2015 was a great success for the Heritage Foundation. The youth of St. Stephen Catholic Church came out in droves to help restore this historic cemetery.  Thank you sooo much!!!!!!!

​​Restoring honor and dignity to abandoned cemeteries


1399 Carthage Street
Sanford, NC 27330


One of the oldest cemeteries located in Sanford, NC dates back to the late 1700's and was used as a burying ground for slaves. This is where our story begins.......
 

















Moore County, N.C.  This property that was sold to these five Trustees contained one and one half acres, more or less, for the sum of $26.25 and was witnessed by Jno. W. Scott.  This deed was originally recorded in Moore County on March 19, 1901, Deed Book 23; Pages 123-125.  Due to the fact that Lee County did not come into existence until 1907, this deed was not available in the City of Sanford, County of Lee.  On May 17, 2011 this deed was brought from Carthage in Moore County and recorded at the Lee County Register of Deeds office by Lisa Martin Sanders.
 
The Black portion of the Buffalo Presbyterian Cemetery was used up until the 1970's, after which its' significance began a slow decline until it was seemingly forgotten; years of vandalism and minimal care has left this cemetery in disarray.  When first discovered, it was overrun with ivy, briers and trees and was very difficult to reach.  Because this cemetery had been totally abandoned, The Heritage Foundation (formerly Team One), realized that to restore it would take lots of time, effort and funding.  Before the restoration began, the fact that this cemetery was no longer an honorable and respectable resting place for those who are buried there brings disgrace to its' designation as part of a National Historical Landmark.  One interesting fact about this particular cemetery is that one of our local and prominent educators, for more than 40 years, whose name now adorns the former Lee County Training School, W.B. Wicker, is buried there.
 
There is much history in this cemetery that should be shared with all those who wish to learn from the past, so that they too can share in a sense of pride for those who blazed the trail of success in which they can now tread.  We should celebrate and be proud of our rich history, not only during the month of February, but at all times.  The graves of the people that are encompassed in this cemetery should reflect those who have benefited from their service and their sacrifice.  We should take it upon ourselves to honor them with the upkeep of their resting place.
 
History Notes & Information Sources:
Cemetery
On May 17, 2011, this property appeared on the Property and Landscape Map of Buffalo Church Cemetery in Lee County, N.C., Francis Deaton, State Registered Engineer.  This map was created in May, 1931.  "J.F. Bowers to Buffalo Church Colored Cemetery Trustees 1.41 Acres."  As a result of The Heritage Foundation's efforts, this property currently has been properly identified as its' own entity on the Property and Landscape Map; with a new address of 1399 Carthage Street, Sanford, N.C.
 
Measuring Worth is the idea of comparing yesteryears' prices with those of today.  Relevant to this discussion the price paid to procure the Black Cemetery, which was $26.25 in 1900 for a one and one half acre parcel of land would be equivalent to $18,500.00 in the year 2011.  This information was obtained through the measuringworth.com website.
 
Lee County was formed in 1907 from parts of Chatham County, Moore County and Harnet County.  It was named for Robert E. Lee, Commanding General of the Confederate forces during the American Civil War.
 
Historical data contributors: Beverly Floryanzia (Lee County Resident), Rev. Dr. Joseph Morgan, Lillie Barrett (Moore County Deputy Register of Deeds), Hal Siler (Surveyor) and Pete Wilberg (BPC).
 
Information gathered and written by:
 
Lisa Martin Sanders
Executive Director
The Heritage Foundation, Inc.